March 07, 2011

What If?

I heard something the other day that really made me think. It was in a movie that I had gone to see, twice, and some of you may actually recognize this. She said: “The two words ‘what’ and ‘if’ are two of the most non-threatening words in the English language. But, place them together and you have two words that could haunt you for the rest of your life.” I don’t know about you, but I have made a concious effort throughout my life to be able to refrain from using these two words, one before the other, in a sentence. I never want to have to look back on my life and think about all of the “what if’s.” I want to accomplish everything I aspire to, and I’d like to participate in as many things as I can, so there is never a moment in my life that I’ll regret, wish I did differently, or hope that it was the correct way to go about things. The words “what” and “if” truly are daunting words, words that can either make you regret not doing something you desperately wish you had, or make you stop doing what you wish you could. Whatever it is, don’t let two little non-threatening words stand in your way. Do whatever it is that you would like, because life is something that continues to pass so quickly, that if you don’t do whatever it is now, in a year or two, there won’t be time to do it anymore. Responsibility grows with the numbers of age, which means there’s less time to do the little things you want to as a kid if you put them off for too long because you’re afraid. Don’t ever be afraid to be yourself. People like a challenge, they like hearing two sides of a story, and believe it or not, constantly agreeing with them isn’t always what they want. Speaking for myself, I want to hear your opinion, not mine, not your parents’, and certainly not your friends’. It’s so much easier to trust and admire a person when they’re honest with themselves and happy with the person they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment